Since the 50s the AR-15 has come a long way. Its popularity among the people has grown exponentially making it one of the most optimized rifles for hunting, sport, and especially home defense. However, due to liberal media and other anti- AR-15 propaganda, a lot of misinformation has spread around the internet. So, just what is the AR-15?
What does AR-15 Stand for?
The name of the AR-15 has always been the same since its conception. However, due to recent events, people have tried to skew its name, in favor of calling it an “assault rifle.” However this name is completely wrong.
- The name AR-15 comes from the company that developed the first AR-15
- That company’s name is ArmaLite
- When Colt bought the AR license, they kept the name “ArmaLite” in their civilian rifle
- Colt no longer owns the license, but the AR-15 platform is still built upon today.
Is the AR-15 Military Grade?
The short answer would most definitely be no. But we all know that there is more to the AR-15 than what is put out there. The AR-15 is is actually a rifle made for civilian use. The US military doesn’t actually use the AR-15 today. In order for a rifle to actually be military grade, there are a few things to consider.
- It must be of the quality and effectiveness the military deems worthy
- It is built to the specifications of a military grade rifle (Milspec)
- Military grade is not a standardized definition because the standard of the military is constantly evolving
- The AR-15 was never intended for military use
- The AR-15 is semi-automatic
What is the difference between Semi-Automatic and Fully Automatic?
The AR-15 has an immensely modular design, allowing for different variations, chambering, and actions. It just so happens that because of this, a lot of confusion has come up about whether the AR-15 is automatic or semi-automatic.
What is a fully automatic rifle?
Now all firearms that are semi-auto or full auto are considered “automatic” for the fact that the actions of the rifles are automated or the action is cycled through automatically from pulling the trigger.However, when we get into it, fully-auto refers to the firearm that cycles through the action as long as the trigger is held.
As it is right now, fully-auto AR-15s have gotten a bad wrap, understandably so. But a few misconceptions that people commonly believe is that anyone is able to get an automatic firearm. Well, like I just said before, that argument would not be incorrect in technical terms. We all know that if the argument on their part was technical, we would not have to fight for our second amendment rights.
That being said, here are the requirements to be able to purchase a fully-auto rifle:
- If the rifle was built before 1986, it’s good to go
- Given that the state does not prohibit its ownership
- If you are a Special Occupational Taxpayer(SOT) and are able to deal, manufacture and/or import full-auto rifles
- If the background check came back positive
- Yes, background checks have been mandatory for longer than it has been argued about
I think it is apparent enough that one doesn’t simply own a fully automatic AR-15. Even if it is a pre-1986 rifle the process will still take about a year before the owner actually gets it. The only ones allowed to carry them are government service-men who have the proper license, vendors and manufacturers who are SOTs and therefore permitted to sell, buy, and import those firearms.
What is semi-auto rifle?
Semi-automatic rifles are automatic, in the sense that the the action is cycled automatically when the trigger is pulled. When the rifle is semi-auto, the trigger cycles the action each time it is pulled.
Civilian AR-15s are made as semi-automatic rifles.That doesn’t mean you won’t see a full auto AR-15, but if you do, it has been modified by someone who has a Type 7 FFL, as well as SOT 2, or the owner is in the military or law enforcement.
Is the AR-15 Illegal?
The AR-15 is not an illegal rifle. However, there has been ongoing controversy in the individual building of 80 lower rifles built to the AR-15’s frame. There are two states in particular who have banned 80 lowers which are California, and New Jersey.
What is an AR-15?
The AR-15 is a rifle built in the 1950s and then popularized in the 1970s. The frame has been used in many projects to produce a civilian variants that are personalized to the owners desires. There are the best rifles for home defense, hunting, sports, and training. And for those who build 80 lowers, the AR-15 is a tool for expanding knowledge and preserving our god-given right to protect ourselves. Visit Thunder Tactical to get an AR-15 kit that is best for you!
Also Read: TOP 10 BEST AR-15 FORUM COMMUNITIES