Second Amendment Foundation Against Obama's Ammunition Ban

By Jeffrey Scott Shapiro - The Washington Times - Sunday, March 8, 2015
The Second Amendment Foundation will launch a nationwide TV and radio campaign Monday aimed at exposing legal holes in President Obama’s executive actions to ban ammunition commonly used in AR-15 sport utility rifles.
“We bought $700,000 of time on Fox News and Glenn Beck’s Blaze network,” Alan Gottlieb, the group’s founder and executive vice president, told The Washington Times in a Sunday telephone interview. “It’s aimed at getting our legal argument out to the public, and at getting support for a possible lawsuit.”
The foundation’s one-minute commercial heralds 1 million Americans to call a toll-free number to voice their concerns, make a contribution and target Mr. Obama for “exercising another executive power grab.”
The ad claims, “The Obama administration was unable to impose gun restrictions and confiscation through the legislative process, so now it’s trying to ban commonly used ammunition through regulation. … If we allow Obama to ban ammunition through executive fiat now, it will lead to the loss of our Second Amendment rights by the time Obama leaves office.”
Press secretary Josh Earnest said last week that Mr. Obama supports the ban because he predicts that the AR-15’s .223 caliber M855 ammunition will be used to pierce law enforcement officer armor, although there are no such reported cases to date.
The Second Amendment Foundation’s media campaign is being launched only days after it sent a scathing legal threat to B. Todd Jones, director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. In addition, 239 congressional lawmakers, including seven Democrats, dispatched a letter voicing their own concerns to the federal agency.